If you believe that your personal data have been violated in any way, you can file a complaint with the Data Protection Authority.

In case you wish to exercise your right to access or your right to object, first you need to contact the Controller; if they fail to satisfy your demand, then you can file a complaint with the DPA. Learn more about your rights.

You can also submit an enquiry to the DPA about any aspect of data protection.

The DPA is entitled not to examine complaints which are considered to be very general, unfounded or submitted unduly or anonymously.

How to file a complaint or an enquiry?

You can download the complaint form here or the enquiry form here, fill them in and submit them to the DPA by post, fax, e-mail or you can bring them in person at the DPA’s offices (open to the public 09:00 – 13:00 - see Contact Details).